Covid 19 Service Updates – June 26
The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the way many local services are operating.
We’ve collected responses from member organizations so that you know what to expect when you call during COVID.
- Shelter has established screening process for women and kids wanting access.
- Women and children entering shelter will now need to quarantine for fourteen days.
- Shelter is currently at full COVID capacity which is half our normal capacity.
- Outreach staff are offering services by phone only.
- Buildings are closed to all but staff and women & kids in shelter.
- FAQ online.
- Reporting, evidence gathering, interviewing and victim management processes remain the same.
- We are minimizing our face to face visits with service users, based on safety and high risk factors.
- Adult Protective Service is back to full capacity and doing face to face support using all required health regulations.
- We are ensuring access visits for parents and children are in person in a safe manner.
- We have been providing counselling virtually until recently
- Can now to see a few clients per day face to face.
- The Ontario Network of Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centres has established a Navigation Line that is staffed by a sexual assault nurse 24/7 to assist service providers including police as well as victims of sexual assault and partner abuse to assist them in locating where a nurse is on duty in the Emergency departments of hospitals. It is not to replace Crisis Lines it is for navigation purposes.
- The shelter is open
- All new intakes must answers COVID related health questions
- Introduced a text line to community members needing text support: 226-974-0755
- Staff who can work from home are working remotely.
- Outreach counselling current being done via phone or virtually
- In person counselling available to shelter clients
Crown Attorney’s Offices
- The offices are open from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for telephone inquiries.
- Office staff are for the most part working remotely, as courts are currently virtual /audio (bail, guilty plea).
- Still offering the same services but no face-to-face meetings right now and no trials are occurring.
- Telephone inquires rather than in-person attendances are strongly recommended to reduce the number of people in the building.
Bruce County: Call 519 881 0432 or email WalkertonCrownOffice@ontario.ca
Grey County: Call 519-370-2470\
- The Ontario Court of Justice will be further expanding its operations on July 6, 2020, as it resumes hearing additional family law matters and criminal trials and preliminary inquiries.
- Do not come to a courthouse if you have been advised by public health officials, your doctor or the Ontario Ministry of Health (MOH) website to self-isolate. If you are unable to come to court because you have been told to self-isolate, please contact your lawyer. If you do not have a lawyer, please contact the courthouse: courthouse email addresses and courthouse addresses and phone numbers.
- Georgian College students have access to video/telelphone counselling Mon. Friday 830-430. Only change is we aren’t seeing people in person.
- offering online counselling instead of face to face
Due to the risks COVID-19 has created and in accordance with Public Health directives for social distancing, as well as an abundance of caution, Victim Services personnel are unable to provide in person response to crime or tragic circumstances, other than at the request of Police Services.
We continue to be available 24/7 at 1-866-376-9852.
- Working remotely, providing services through cellphone, text, email and social media like zoom
- Updates here.
For information about ways to volunteer, opportunities to access services, or places to get help with things like food visit the United Ways new website http://www.thedo.ca/. You can offer to help, or reach out for the help you need.
Check out a list of housing, food, and support services through the Poverty Task Force as well .
If you’re wondering about services, call 211 or the service in question for the most up to date information about modifications to service delivery.